Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free Federal & State tax return preparation for low income families in Berkshire County provided by trained volunteers. The program increases the capacity for low-income families to file returns, and improves the accuracy of the returns. To set up an appointment call Melissa, 413-418-3685 (Central / South) and Aleta, 413-663-3014 (North).
What to bring to your appointment:
- Photo ID or proof of ID
- Social Security Card or Verification Letter
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for ALL family members (spouse, dependents)
- Proof of foreign status if applying for an ITIN
- Birthdates for you/spouse/dependents
- W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2019
- Form 1099-G for unemployment compensation and state or local tax refunds
- Form W-2G and other 1099 forms for other income in 2019
- Childcare provider name, address, Tax ID number or SSN and amount paid in 2019
- Copy of last year’s state and federal tax returns
- Other applicable tax-related documents such as interest statements, federal loan documents, retirement statements, list of organizations to which you made a charitable donation etc.
Health Insurance Documents:
- Forms 1095-A,B,C Affordable Health Care Statements, or Health Insurance Exemption Certificates
- Bank, Credit Union, or Prepaid Card Account and Routing number
- Voided check or savings deposit slip
Please note: To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, BOTH spouses must be present to sign the required form.
Want to volunteer as a Tax Preparer? No prior experience required. Click here to learn more!